Seagate Exos X14 3.5-Inch Internal 512e/4Kn SATA Enterprise Hard Drive
Perfect for storage-intensive workloads, OLTP, Hadoop, Ceph and HPC applications
Sorry, this product is no longer available, please contact us for a replacement.
Scalable. Responsive. Innovative.
For everything hyperscale, there’s ExosTM X— the most powerful way to access the datasphere and harness the full potential of the cloud. Exos X16, Exos X14, Exos X12, and Exos X10 enterprise hard drives integrate the latest technology in support of a scalable, secure, and reliable cloud data center.* Specifically designed to work in highly scalable environments requiring low power consumption and weight, the Exos X series hard drives perform consistently while scaling to meet the stringent TCO requirements of most cloud-based data centers.
Exos X14 Series
Seagate manufactures hard drives that specifically address the needs of the hyperscale storage market. As the flagship of the Seagate X class, the Exos™ X14 and Exos X14z enterprise hard drives are the highest-capacity hard drives in the fleet.
- Hyperscale applications/cloud data centers
- Massive scale-out data centers
- Big Data applications
- High-capacity density RAID storage
- Mainstream enterprise external storage arrays
- Distributed file systems, including Hadoop and Ceph
- Enterprise backup and restore—D2D, virtual tape
- Centralized surveillance
* Formerly Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD (Helium)
Maximum Storage Capacity for Highest Rack Space Efficiency
- 14TB per drive1 for 40% more petabytes per rack
- Industry's lowest power and weight for optimum data center TCO
- Highest 14TB hard drive performance with enhanced caching, making it perfect for big data applications
- Hyperscale SATA model tuned for large data transfers
- PowerBalance™ feature optimizes IOPS/Watt
- Helium sealed-drive design with no porosity and uniform density
- Superior material and weld-width design for a more robust, hermetically sealed-drive enclosure that protects from helium leaks
- Digital environmental sensors for measuring internal pressure, helping to ensure high reliability, performance, and quality
- Latest hermetic interconnect technology supporting higher data rate heads and higher pin counts for extreme thermal conditions
- Proven enterprise-class reliability backed by 2.5M-hr MTBF rating
|Built-in Data Protection
Seagate Secure Instant Secure Erase drives simplify drive repurposing and disposal, protect data-at-rest and help comply with corporate and federal data security mandates.
Prevent unauthorized access and safeguard stored data with three levels of security, including Secure Downloads & Diagnostics (SD&D), TCG-compliant Self-Encrypting Drive and government-grade FIPS/Common Criteria tamper-resistant hard drive.2
|Data Management Made Easy
1 Compared to 10TB competitive product.
2 Seagate Secure Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) are not available in all models or countries. May require TCG-compliant host or controller support.
|Specifications - 512 Emulation/4K Native||SATA 6Gb/s|
|Standard Model FastFormat™ (512e/4Kn)1||ST12000NM0008|
|SED Model FastFormat (512e/4Kn)1,2||ST12000NM0248|
|SED-FIPS FastFormat (512e/4Kn)1,2||—|
|Helium Sealed-Drive Design||Yes|
|Protection Information (T10 DIF)||—|
|PowerChoice™ Idle Power Technology||Yes|
|PowerBalance™ Power/Performance Technology||Yes|
|Cache, Multisegmented (MB)||256|
|Organic Solderability Preservative||Yes|
|RSA 2048 Firmware Verification (SD&D)||Yes|
|Reliability / Data Integrity|
|Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF, hours)||2,500,000hr|
|Reliability Rating @ Full 24×7 Operation (AFR)||0.35%|
|Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read, Max||1 sector per 10E15|
|Power-On Hours per Year (24×7)||8760|
|512e Sector Size (Bytes per Sector)||512|
|4Kn Sector Size (Bytes per Sector)||4096|
|Limited Warranty (years)||5|
|Spindle Speed (RPM)||7200RPM|
|Interface Access Speed (Gb/s)||6.0, 3.0|
|Max. Sustained Transfer Rate OD (MB/s,MiB/s)||245,233|
|Random Read/Write 4K QD16 WCD (IOPS)||170/418|
|Average Latency (ms)||4.16|
|Rotation Vibration @ 20-1500 Hz (rad/sec²)||12.5|
|Idle Average (W)||5.0W|
|Max Operating, Random Read/Write 4K/16Q (W)||10.0, 6.0|
|Power Supply Requirements||+12 V and +5 V|
|Temperature, Operating (°C)||5°C – 60°C|
|Vibration, Nonoperating: 2 to 500Hz (Grms)||2.27|
|Shock, Operating 2ms (Read/Write) (Gs)||70/40Gs|
|Shock, Nonoperating, 2ms (Gs)||250|
|Height (mm/in, max)4||26.11mm/1.028in|
|Width (mm/in, max)4||101.85mm/4.010in|
|Depth (mm/in, max)4||147.0mm/5.787in|
|Carton Unit Quantity||20|
|Cartons per Pallet/Cartons per Layer||40 / 8|
1 FastFormat models ship in 512e format state. When switching from 512e to 4Kn by executing the FastFormat routine, all data on the drive will be deleted. Note that data must be aligned to 4K sectors to see improved performance in 4Kn fomat.
2 Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) and FIPS 140-2 Validated drives available through franchised authorized distributors. May require TCG-compliant host or controller support.
3 Supports Hotplug operation per Serial ATA Revision 3.3 specification
4 These base deck dimensions conform to the Small Form Factor Standard (SFF-8301) found at www.sffcommittee.org. For connector-related dimensions, see SFF-8323.
Download the Seagate Exos X14 3.5-Inch Enterprise HDD Datasheet (.PDF)